IU Police Department Indianapolis shares safety tips for students, staff and faculty
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for its students, staff and faculty, but safety is everyone’s responsibility.
“It’s important that everyone take an active role in safety awareness for their own personal benefit as well as for those around them,” said IU Police Department Indianapolis Chief Bob True.
With a student population of nearly 28,000 on the IUPUI campus, including more than 2,500 new students, IUPD Indianapolis offers the following safety tips.
- Cross streets at marked crosswalks or intersections, but don’t rely solely on pedestrian signals; look before crossing the road.
- Maintain a sense of situational awareness.
- Keep your eyes up and keep at least one ear free so you can hear what’s happening around you.
- Travel in well-lit, busy areas.
- Use the “buddy” system; walk with a friend whenever possible.
- Trust your gut. If something or someone makes you feel uneasy, get out or away.
- Study the campus map and determine your routes between classes or activities.
- Familiarize yourself with the campus emergency phones. IUPUI has over 200 emergency phones on campus that offer direct lines to the IUPUI Public Safety Dispatch Center. Many of these phones have distinctive blue lights installed overhead.
- See something, say something. Report all crimes and suspicious people, activities and vehicles to IUPD Indianapolis at 317-274-7911.
Know your numbers
Program emergency and campus security numbers into your cell phone.
- 911: Universal emergency public safety number. This service is available 24/7 and should be used for any crime, medical situation or fire that is in progress, or any crime that has just occurred.
- Be ready to identify the nature of the incident, time, people or property involved as well as anything unusual or distinctive about the incident or people involved.
- All 911 calls made from a campus emergency phone or a campus landline phone will be automatically connected to IUPD Indianapolis.
- 317-274-7911: IUPD Indianapolis. The police department is a 24/7 operation.
- 317-274-SAFE (7233): IUPUI Safe Walk, a safety escort to and from buildings and parking lots on the IUPUI campus. This service is available from 6 p.m. to midnight Monday through Friday.
In compliance with provisions of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998, IUPD Indianapolis provides timely warnings and crime alerts on major crimes occurring on or near the IUPUI campus. IUPD Indianapolis also maintains a daily criminal activity report available online or at police headquarters, 1232 W. Michigan St.
IUPUI offers an array of preventive information and awareness programs for students, faculty and staff. To learn more or schedule a presentation, visit the Protect IU website.
- Office 317-274-5434
- Cell 317-201-7114